Motor Vehicle Titles FAQs


I just purchased a vehicle from an automobile dealer in Alabama, should I come to the Courthouse to get my Title?

No.  The dealer from which you purchased the vehicle will complete the Title Application and send it to Montgomery.  You or your lien holder should receive your title in 4-6 weeks.  In order to avoid a penalty, you should come to the Courthouse with your copy of the application within 20 days to register your vehicle with the Tag Department.

I just purchased an automobile from an out-of-state dealer, should I come to the Courthouse to apply for a new title?

Yes. In order to apply for a new title, the buyer(s) must furnish a manufacturers statement of orgin or a correctly completed title and a bill of sale.

If I purchase a vehicle from an individual (non-dealer), should I come to the Courthouse Title Department?

Yes.  The Title Department will complete a Title Application for you (the purchaser) to sign.  Upon payment of the Application fee, the Title Department will mail the application to Montgomery for final approval and issuance of the Certificate of Title.  The purchaser must furnish a correctly completed title and bill of sale from the seller.

How much does it cost to transfer a Title?

$18.00. (Check, money order, or cash)

Does transferring the Title automatically put the tag in my name?

No.  These are two different processes that you must complete. You must first apply for Alabama Title before your vehicle can be registered and issued an Alabama license plate.

Can I transfer my Title using this Web Site?

No. All purchasers must sign the title application in person.

I am a new resident to the State of Alabama, what should I do?

If you are a new resident, you have 30 days to title and register your vehicle. If you have a lienholder listed on your title, you will need to bring a copy of the title and the current registration receipt. Also, you will need to have the vehicle available for a VIN inspection in order to register the vehicle in the State of Alabama.

If you do not owe for your vehicle, you will need to bring the out-of-state title and the current registration receipt. All listed owners will need to be available to sign the title application and the vehicle must be available for a VIN inspection.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>