Property Taxes FAQs


When are my property taxes due?

Property taxes are due October 1st, and are delinquent December 31st.

Will I receive a statement of the amount due?

Yes, you will receive a notice of your taxes due around the first of October.  If we have been notified by your mortgage company, we will send them a statement of the amount due.

What is the difference between “ad valorem” and “property” taxes?

“Ad valorem” means ‘on the value of’…….so when you pay ad valorem taxes, you are paying on something that has value.  You pay ad valorem taxes on land, houses, buildings and automobiles.  The amount of the taxes due is based on the fair market value of the property.

Can I pay my taxes by mail?

Yes, simply mail your check to the address shown on the statement and if you would like a receipt, include a self addressed/stamped envelope.

Can I pay my property taxes by internet?


Will my taxes go up every year?

There are two reasons for your property taxes to increase:  (1) a tax rate (millage) increase, or (2) an increase in the appraised value of the property.  The first reason, tax rate increase, would have to come from a vote of the citizens or by the taxing authority (County Commission) to increase (or decrease) the millage rate if approved by the Alabama State Legislature. The second situation involving an increase in the appraised value, would come from a court ordered re-appraisal or from an “economically-based” increase in the market value of properties in the county, resulting in an increase in the appraised value.  All Alabama counties are now under an ‘annual reappraisal’ program which requires the assessing official to review 1/4 of the County each year, and to assess any/all additional buildings identified during this process for the upcoming tax year.

When should I file for my ‘Homestead Exemption’?

Anytime an individual buys a home, he/she should come to the Real Estate Department and file for Homestead Exemption.  Often times, your attorney, banker, or real estate agent will assist with this filing, but please come by or call our office to make sure your exemption has been properly filed, as this will have a big impact on your taxes due.

What other exemptions are available on property taxes?

1.  Over age 65 Exemption, should be filed October – December following a persons 65th birthday.

2.  Disability Exemption, should be filed October – December with documentation detailing the disability.

How much revenue is received annually from property taxes in Blount County?

Total revenues received on real estate taxes for the 2009 Tax Year were $15.3 million.  These revenues are distributed to different entities (cities, schools, county, state, health care) on a semi-monthly basis beginning October 15, and continuing through the month of May the following year.

What is a “mill”?

A mill is one-tenth of a cent.  The number of mills an agency charges for taxes is multiplied times the assessed value of the property, the result is the tax amount due.  For example:

$100,000 (Appraised Value)  X (Residential rate: 10%) =$10,000 (Assessed value) X .0325 (county millage rate) = $325.00 (tax amount)


  2 Responses to “Property Taxes FAQs”

  1. What all is needed when you come in to file for Homestead Exemption? Do you have to complete the paperwork there or is it something that can be mailed in? Both mine and my husband’s names are on the mortgage. Do we both have to come in or can he come in on his own to file for Homestead Exemption? When is the deadline to file for Homestead Exemption?

    • When filing for Homestead Exemption, someone must come to the office and sign the proper documentation. You don’t need to bring anything in to the office with you. You file for the exemption where the property taxes are paid, which is Room 102 on the main floor of the Courthouse. Room 102 is the counter across from where you have your Drivers License picture taken. You can also file for your Homestead exemption at the Hayden Annex. The clerk will Ask you how your property is assessed/listed for taxes, meaning what name is your property listed under.

      You or your husband can come in and apply for the exemption.

      You need to apply for it by December 31st.

      FYI-If one of you can come in before the 31st it will be much better. You will be in the same line to pay taxes, and since the 31st is the last day to pay, the line is usually very long.

      Please message back any more questions or comments. Or, you can call 205-625-4117. Thank you! I hope this reply answers your questions.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>